Tyre model data

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
browney
browney

Tyre model data

Hi,
I was wondering if people knew what level of data Pirelli give the teams for their simulators? Do they just get the data from a calspan style tyre test rig, pacejka coefficients or some other much more complex model?

The thermal behaviour is so critical but that isn't part of the traditional pacejka model.

Andi76
Andi76

Re: Tyre model data

browney wrote:
04 May 2024, 00:27
Hi,
I was wondering if people knew what level of data Pirelli give the teams for their simulators? Do they just get the data from a calspan style tyre test rig, pacejka coefficients or some other much more complex model?

The thermal behaviour is so critical but that isn't part of the traditional pacejka model.
Not much is known about it, but the teams get data from Pirelli in the form of coefficients derived from flat-bed tire test machines and data on pressure sensitivity, vertical stiffness and damping characteristics. Sole suppliers are usually not willing to give out more data than necessary.

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Not F1, but from Flat Trac tests we get don't get pac as such, we get the matrix of Fz, Steer, psi, and camber as inputs, and the corresponding forces and moments. It's up to us to fit the data to a model, Pacejka is typically too slow to use directly in a simulation.

browney
browney

Greg Locock wrote:
05 May 2024, 01:27
Not F1, but from Flat Trac tests we get don't get pac as such, we get the matrix of Fz, Steer, psi, and camber as inputs, and the corresponding forces and moments. It's up to us to fit the data to a model, Pacejka is typically too slow to use directly in a simulation.
Vi car realtime uses the Pac model and i was sure that could run in realtime (I've never used for realtime DIL Sim though). I was thinking that the downside with pac is going to be the lack of heat data (although I have seen there are some people adding that stuff now in newer models).

But also I wasn't sure if the kind of fit you get with Pac is good enough for F1 tyres, given the details they go to.

I'm not sure what you mean by flat track, but do you have to worry about heat impacts?

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Flat Trac is a big tire testing machine.

No, on the rig we don't test for temperature effects, but they are measurable on the car.

AlphonsoGonzalez
AlphonsoGonzalez

Thanks for the info, I also want to know it.